Day 7 - June 8, 2016

I could have cut and paste some of the text from the previous day's blog here. Once again I woke later than planned and then decided to hit River/Horsetail Road first and Road 22 second. I felt I'd missed some good shots the day before and hoped to do better.

However the weather was more overcast, which is not good for photography. I was contemplating making this my last day and heading home in the afternoon.

Horsetail Road

Only one good shot here, a better look at a female Bullock's Oriole.

Bullock's Oriole - Horsetail Rd, Oliver BC

Road 22, Oliver BC

I had better results here, taking most of these shots from the car. The birds seem less aware of you, it's like a mobile blind. A drive up the dike and back resulted in these four photos.

Eastern Kingbird - Road 22, Oliver BC

Yellow Warbler - Road 22, Oliver BC

California Quail - Road 22, Oliver BC

Gray Catbird - Road 22, Oliver BC

White Lake Road, Oliver BC

Next I headed west over to White Lake Road. The habitat here is a mix of open pine forests, grasslands and alkali lakes and ponds. Near White Lake is the White Lake Grasslands Protected Area, another Nature Trust site.

I felt this was my last best chance for Western Kingbird, and I was soon rewarded with one on a telephone wire.

Western Kingbird - White Lake Rd, Oliver BC

The next one I saw was at eye level close to the protected area.

Western Kingbird - White Lake Rd, Oliver BC

I arrived at the protected site, parked and walked in. Last year I had seen both Tree Swallows and Western Bluebirds in the next boxes. I was a week later this year and many boxes were empty. 

However, one box had a fairly mature looking tree swallow being fed by another. A late fledger, I'm guessing.

Tree Swallow - White Lake Grasslands Protected Area, Oliver BC

The next birds I saw presented a post-trip identification challenge. When I saw them I assumed they were an adult and juvenile Brewer's Blackbird. Upon reviewing the photos I changed my identification to Common Grackles based on the male's head shape and large beak.

However, I was unsure and emailed Chris Charlesworth (our tour guide and operator of the Okanagan Bird alert). He emailed back saying that Grackles have not been seen in the Okanagan. I sent him the photos, but have not heard back yet. I've labelled them here as Brewer's Blackbirds, which I now believe is the correct ID.

Brewer's Blackbird - White Lake Grasslands Protected Area, Oliver BC

Rather than a juvenile, the second one is a female Brewer's as they occasionally have the black eye instead of yellow (insert bad taste joke here).

Brewer's Blackbird (F) - White Lake Grasslands Protected Area, Oliver BC

As I was leaving, I saw a male Western Bluebird on a wire above me.

Western Bluebird - White Lake Grasslands Protected Area, Oliver BC

Vaseux Lake Boardwalk

I circled back through Okanagan Falls and had a quick look for American Dipper, no luck. On the way back to Gallagher Lake Lodge, I stopped again at the Vaseux Lake Boardwalk hoping for a little more magic. But all I saw were a few of these dragonflies. My best guess at an ID is a Double-wing Skimmer. In flight they had double wing wings with black and white striping.

Double-wing Skimmer Dragonfly - Vaseux Lake Boardwalk, Oliver BC

I returned to the lodge, packed and checked out and headed home. However, I would make two more birding stops on the way.

Swan Lake Wildlife Viewing and Habitat Restoration Area

What a mouthful for such a simple, elegant place. This location is in Princeton, just past the garbage dump. It's where Mary-Jean and experienced magic in the form of a Pygmy Nuthatch back in April.


Once again I have to thank Russell and Richard Cannings and their Birdfinding in BC book for being aware that this place existed. I arrived here just as a storm appeared to be brewing, much like when I was here a year ago. However, it did not come to pass this time.

After I entered the area, I noticed a Red-tailed Hawk soaring high above.


Red-tailed Hawk - Swan Lake Wildlife Viewing and Habitat Restoration Area, Princeton BC

I heard the sounds of a small bird chirping, which I located and identified it as a Vesper Sparrow. This was one of my target birds that I had given up on seeing on this trip.


Vesper Sparrow - Swan Lake Wildlife Viewing and Habitat Restoration Area, Princeton BC

The bird was very cooperative and did not leave its perch.


Vesper Sparrow - Swan Lake Wildlife Viewing and Habitat Restoration Area, Princeton BC

Another noise in the background was a House Wren calling. I'd heard them numerous times at Predator Ridge and elsewhere on the golf trip, but had not seen or photographed one. Finally, I got the chance to do so.

House Wren -  Swan Lake Wildlife Viewing and Habitat Restoration Area, Princeton BC

I also heard another bird and managed to track it down. It was a Chipping Sparrow. This is not uncommon for the Okanagan, but the first I'd seen for the year.

Chipping Sparrow - Swan Lake Wildlife Viewing and Habitat Restoration Area, Princeton BC

I left Swan Lake and headed for home. Last stop would be Manning Park, where I always expect to see something.

Manning Provincial Park

The last bird I saw on this trip was at Manning Park. I had hoped to see Clark's Nutcracker, but it seems that they have been replaced at the lodge by Common Ravens and Brown-headed Catbirds. It was too late to go up to the Cascade Viewpoint, a guaranteed location for a Nutcracker.

Fortunately, I did see this Steller's Jay and managed to get one of my best photos ever of this stunning species.

Steller's Jay - Manning Park Lodge, Manning Provincial Park, BC

So ended the second Okanagan/Similkameen tour. It was one to remember.






No comments:

Post a Comment