Day 5 Morning - June 6, 2016

We had an early wake-up call so we could pack up, check out and get on the way to the Rise in Vernon for our last round of the trip. We were actually heading farther east due to booking complications that altered our plans.

The Rise is a golf course to the north east of Vernon, perched about 1000 ft above Okanagan Lake. It is a very natural area were chances of seeing wildlife were quite good. It was also not very busy on this Monday morning, so our pace was relaxed.


View from The Rise Golf Club, Vernon BC


On the very first tee box we saw this two-year old Mule deer. If anyone wants to dispute the ID, please let me know.  With Black-tail Deer the tail is black all the way to the base.

I had the wrong lens on my camera for something so close, but managed this shot.


Mule Deer - The Rise Golf Club, Vernon BC

A couple of hours later we caught a glimpse of this small mammal in a pond. I'm 99% certain it was a beaver.


Beaver - The Rise Golf Club, Vernon BC

On the back 9 of the course there are some ponds where ducks are usually present. Here's a Redhead Duck, my first good photo of one on the trip.

Redhead - The Rise Golf Club, Vernon BC

As our tour was ending, we posed for a couple of group photos on the most scenic hole on the golf course. I'd just made a long putt for birdie there, so I was feeling pretty happy at the time.

Fritz, Martin and Pat - The Rise Golf Club, Vernon BC

Lou, Martin and Pat - The Rise Golf Club, Vernon BC

After golf, we had lunch at a nice place in Vernon and then parted company. The guys were heading home while I was going to Oliver for the next two nights. I had some more birding adventures on the way to Oliver, as detailed in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment